Innerstave Oak Flour & Powder
- Oak Flour is our most potent flavouring product available and is comprised of finely ground oak pieces about the size of ground wheat.
- The total surface area per unit of measure is significantly greater than regular sized chip products.
- The larger surface area means Oak Flour is highly extractable, releasing volumes of oak flavour in short periods of time.
- It assists in masking vegetal overtones without imparting obvious oak character.
- This product binds colour and enhances texture leading to bigger mouth feel with a touch of non-aggressive tannin.
- The oak flavour is indiscernible, but the backbone of oak tannin and structure is present making the future of the wine bigger and fuller.
- Wineries that regularly add tannin during fermentation will use Oak in its place and get four benefits from the addition; oak flavour, toast, tannin and colour retention.
- Oak Flour can be added directly into the Grape Receiving hopper or poured into the top of a fermenter before or during fermentation.
- We suggest using this product primarily during fermentation for lowering vegetative characters and increasing wine texture as stated above.
- The oak flavour and toast adds interest to the wine and the tannin coupled with the toasted oak helps bind phenols and retain colour.
- Oak Flour should be the product of choice for wines that need added tannin or colour stability. Its small particle size makes for easy processing and removal.
ADDITION RATES & USAGE INSTRUCTIONS
- Due to its small particle size, oak flavours are quickly and easily extracted, therefore addition rates will be lower than other chips products.
- Suggested ratio range is from 2.5 to 8 lbs per ton
- Oak extraction: 2-5 days.